Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Tonight is a particular honor for me because – let’s face it – my presence on this stage is pretty unlikely. My father was a foreign student, born and raised in a small village in Kenya. He grew up herding goats, went to school in a tin-roof shack; his father -- my grandfather -- was a cook, a domestic servant. But my grandfather had larger dreams for his son. Through hard work and perseverance my father got a scholarship to study in a magical place – America – that stood as a beacon of freedom and opportunity to so many who had come before.

While studying here, my father met my mother. She was born in a town on the other side of the world, in Kansas. Her father worked on oil rigs and farms through most of the Depression. The day after Pearl Harbor he signed up for duty; he joined Patton’s army and marched across Europe. Back home, my grandmother raised their baby and went to work on a bomber assembly line. After the war, they studied on the GI Bill, bought a house through FHA, and moved west, in search of opportunity. And they, too, had big dreams for their daughter.

A common dream, born of two continents. My parents shared not only an improbable love; they shared an abiding faith in the possibilities of this nation. They would give me an African name, Barack, or “blessed,” believing that in a tolerant America your name is no barrier to success. They imagined me going to the best schools in the land, even though they weren’t rich, because in a generous America you don’t have to be rich to achieve your potential. {more}

for audio listening.

by now, many of you have heardof barack obama, not to mention his heritage.

10 Comments:

At October 02, 2005 2:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful invention it is, this thing we call the Internet!

 
At October 02, 2005 5:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It pretty much covers FREE Marketing related stuff.

 
At October 18, 2005 6:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish there were more quality blogs like yours. I have a similar blog covering topics such as tiger tattoo . Please give us a visit for tiger tattoo related content.

 
At November 04, 2005 12:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed you blog about man reproductive health. I also have a site about man reproductive health which makes me appreciate this one even more! Keep up the good work!

 
At November 07, 2005 3:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, here is the greatest business opportunity uk of the 21st century. Come and check the videos about business opportunity uk and see why it is possible to make $4,000 a week ! Dave

 
At November 07, 2005 8:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a com connection en internet language site speedcom connection en internet language site speed site/blog. It pretty much covers com connection en internet language site speed Problems with your Windows Xp Computing !
Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At November 08, 2005 2:36 AM , Blogger Leif Wheeler said...

Hello, I really enjoy your blog … I’m going to bookmark it.
Your visitors may also enjoy another site about dating.
It can be found by clicking here...
free online dating services

 
At November 11, 2005 2:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Free Ads and Marketing Lessons conveniently SENT straight to your Inbox Daily!

 
At November 17, 2005 10:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! What at great blog you have going. I'm new to blogging and I am trying to build up my visitors. I blog about marketing firm. I am also offering the eBook "Adsense Empire" to my visitors.... Stop by & get your copy today

 
At February 07, 2006 12:54 PM , Blogger Rob said...

I like your blog you have here. You got a good one going. I'm blog surfing, thought i'd leave a comment. Have a good one :)

regards,
business group health insurance small virginia

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home