Friday, September 02, 2005

is it me, or are you all black?

Image Hosted at ImageHosting.us

Image Hosted at ImageHosting.us

Image Hosted at ImageHosting.us

Image Hosted at ImageHosting.us

Image Hosted at ImageHosting.us

Image Hosted at ImageHosting.us

Image Hosted at ImageHosting.us

it's been bugging me since i began watching the news coverage in n.o, mississipi and alabama. all the footage of looters, folks displaced, screaming children, old men and women in wheelchairs were all black. are there any other people in the gulf state that are non black. i really thought it was just me. me with my immigrant eyes staring at the television screen contemplating what looked like modern day acopolyse with knee high water instead of fire and brimestone.

& so, on my sometime daily readings of other blogs i realised. aha, its not just me. bitch phd over here notices it too & the esteemed world reknowed newspaper recognizes it also. which goes to my second thought...so it this flood let say had happened in other states in the north or west. would there be widespread reportings of looting and whathave you. and why in gods name is the emphasis on folks running into stores and grabbing a pair of shoes or something to eat. im thinking hey, if fema isn't doing its job or the federal government is slow in responding to disaster, then why can't folks go ahead and fed for themselves. & im not talking about looting of jewellery and fancy shit like that..

1 Comments:

At September 04, 2005 2:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is heartbreaking,

I hate to admit it, but I was one of those people that thought, “this is America, things don’t happen here, and if they do we can rise above it” I think Americans need to look around and say hey these people are my family. I don’t know if many people put any thought into this, but I am sure there are people in our armed forces that are from where this hurricane hit, and they haven’t heard from their families, that would horrible, and horrible feeling to be in Iraq and not even know if your family is alive

Katie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home